As soon as there is even a hint of fall in the air my tastebuds immediately cry out for apple everything! Sweet, tart, baked, fried, fresh, etc… I like it in all it’s various forms. This Apple Crumb Coffee Cake gives me my apple fix in a lightly sweetened and very moist cake. It is equally tasty at breakfast, as an afternoon snack, or as dessert with it’s tender apple spice flavored apple pieces.
Apple Crumb Coffee Cake
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 17
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 1g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 37g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 medium baking apple
- ⅔ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 flax eggs (2T ground flax with 6T warm water, let sit)
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Apple pie spice
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. non-dairy butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a square 8x8 pan well with coconut oil.
- Peel and chop apple into small bites, I like to use a good tart Green Granny Smith to offset the sweetness in the cake.
- Sprinkle about 1 T. brown sugar over the top of apples.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine sugars, eggs, and applesauce until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and salt well.
- Add the flour a bit at a time to your mixing bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour milk into batter and mix 1 more minute.
- Pour batter into prepared pan over apples.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter in a small bowl.
- Work together with a fork until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over top of batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Alexis Mathews https://alexismathews.com/