It is no secret, my family and I are vegans. Although for a shorter time than some, we’ve seen the health benefits and in good conscience never go back to eating animal protein. Casein, the main health culprit in dairy and animal proteins do nasty stuff to our bodies.
I have over simplified the following 10 points with the hope that you will be spurred on to do your own reading and your own research. Please don’t take my word for any of this, take this article for what it is worth and do you own fact finding. Vegan research and health benefits are not hard to find. Popular books suck as The China Study and Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition are packed with more scientific research and information than the average person can possibly wrap their heads around in a single reading.
10 Reasons to Avoid Animal Protein
- Reduce incidence of auto-immune disease
- When the animal protein casein is broken down in your digestive tract they form chunks or fragments that can be mis-read by your body and cause an immune system response. This immune response causes inflammation and a whole host of auto-immune diseases such as arthritis, asthma, psoriasis, eczema, and migraines.
- Lower blood sugar levels in diabetics
- The China Study discusses this point extensively and my husband has first hand experience with the immediate results a plant based diet can have on insulin levels. My husband has reduced his average daily insulin a dramatic amount and is even able to skip insulin at meals if he chooses his food wisely. Not only that, but unlike most diabetics he has experienced a drop in his blood sugar numbers over night rather than the typical dramatic increase overnight experienced by most diabetics.
- Reduce cancer risk
- T. Colin Campbell in The China Study concluded through his research that casein, the protein in milk promotes cancer growth at all stages.
- Increase bowel regularity and function
- A plant based diet is the most efficient way to clean out your digestive system and keep it functioning at it’s best. If you are not regular with your bowel movements that is a sign that your body is not functioning properly and you are storing toxins. A plant based diet will remedy that situation and get your body functioning properly.
- More energy
- As mentioned in the point above, when you body is functioning at it’s best and is free of energy sapping toxins you will feel more energized. Our bodies are not designed to consume meat simply by the length of our intestines. When you feed your body the correct plant based diet you will feel like a new person.
- Sleep better
- When you switch to a plant based diet no longer will your body be full of animal protein toxins. Toxins coupled with a sluggish digestive system will cause sleep issues. I got my first good night sleep after I started living a plant based lifestyle.
- Lower risk of heart disease
- Animal protein contributes to heart disease, this fact has been known for years. Research this fact for yourself, the evidence is everywhere.
- Simple economics
- If you are struggling to make ends meet, the simple economics of buying food will tell you to steer clear of meat and dairy. Meat, milk, and cheese are expensive there is no denying that. So when you cut these high priced items from your monthly food budget you will suddenly have more money to purchase organic fruits and veggies dense in vitamins and minerals.
- Clearer complexion
- The fats in meat coupled with the immune response from casein wreck havoc on your skin cells, the largest organ in your body. Reduce inflammation and fat content in your body immediately when you remove animal protein and dairy.
- Increased average life span
- This point could go without saying but I think it is important enough to include on this list. As pointed out above reducing immune response and inflammation, lowering bolos sugar levels, reducing cancer and heart disease will all lead to a longer average life span. Which for you means you have a greater likely hood of living a long and healthy life when you remove animal protein from your diet.
If you are ready to reduce or eliminate animal protein from your daily diet I have a whole host of delicious family friendly vegan recipes including, Incredible Indian Pancakes, Ginger & Tumeric Carrot Soup, and Colorful Raw Quinoa Salad.
Have questions about a vegan lifestyle free of animal proteins? Please don’t hesitate to contact me, I’d love to chat with you.