In a family of seven children, breakfast is a highly anticipated meal. My kids are all hungry from not eating overnight and one of the first words out of their mouths is most often “I’m hungry, what is for breakfast”. My boys also have the habit of requesting breakfast before they even hit their head on the pillow at night.
Enter the pancake.
Not just any pancake mind you, these pancakes meet every strict nutritional rule that I set forth for what is served in our home. They are vegan, gluten free, soy free, and absolutely delicious!
This recipe is a regular in our home. I most often make it on a weekend morning when our schedule is a bit more relaxed and I don’t have to rush to get everyone fed. I double or triple this recipe so that there are (hopefully) a few leftover to snack on or reheat another morning.
Pancakes are one of those childhood memory staples. Honestly, your childhood isn’t complete until you have several memories centered around hot pancakes on a lazy weekend morning full of laughter and family time together. Despite our healthier lifestyle, this recipe allows me to still provide my children, yes all seven of them, with those pancake memories.
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1.2 cup millet flour
- 3T ground flax
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea alt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2T grade B maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana smashed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients. (tapioca flour, millet four, coconut flour, baking powder, sea salt, flax)
- Add maple syrup, banana, coconut milk , water, and vanilla to dry ingredients. Stir until smooth. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat and oil a pan with coconut oil (or other oil of your choice). Depending on the pan EVOO might prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Drop pancake batter by spoonfuls onto hot pan. Spread batter with a heat proof spoon into a nice circle.
- Cook 2-3 minutes and flip pancakes with edges start to brown or dry out. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Top with coconut, maple syrup, fresh fruit or any other topping of your choice.