Drinking lemon water daily, especially first thing in the morning has numerous health benefits. A warm glass of lemon water first thing in the morning aids your digestive system and makes the flushing of toxins easier for your internal organs.
Lemon water has zero calories and provides some key essential vitamins and minerals.
Benefits of Water
At it’s core lemon water is simply water. We all know the health benefits that drinking water provides including hydration, flushing of toxins, and increased energy. If drinking plain water is not particularly palatable to you, adding some lemon might be just the trick to improve the taste so you can enjoy your water intake. Water makes up 60% of your body and is essential for the function of every organ and internal system.
Benefits of Lemons
Water infused with lemon contains citric acid, which can clean out calcium stones and prevent calcium deposits from building up in arteries. These deposits can promote cardiovascular disease. Lemon water also provides the body with hydration, antioxidants and electrolytes.
Adding lemon to water is an easy way to get some of this fruit’s nutritional benefits. Lemons are low in saturated fat and sodium and are also a good source of folate, potassium and vitamin C. Folate is a water-soluble B vitamin known to prevent neural tube defects during pregnancy; it also may prevent cognitive decline, cancer, certain psychiatric illnesses and cardiovascular conditions. Potassium builds protein and muscle, maintains normal body growth and controls the electrical activity of the heart. And lastly, according to vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of the body. As an antioxidant, it contains nutrients that block damage caused by free radicals, which may play a role in cancer, heart disease and arthritis.
- Excellent sources of vitamin C, an essential nutrient that protects the body against immune system deficiencies
- Contain pectin fiber which is very beneficial for colon health and also serves as a powerful antibacterial
- Helps to balance and maintain pH levels in the body
- Having warm lemon juice early in the morning helps flush out toxins
- Aids digestion and encourages the production of bile
- Great source citric acid, potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Helps prevent the growth and multiplication of pathogenic bacteria that cause infections and diseases
- Helps reducing pain and inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
- Helps cure the common cold
- Potassium content in lemon helps nourish brain and nerve cells
- Strengthens the liver by providing energy to the liver enzymes when they are too dilute
- Helps balance the calcium and oxygen levels in the liver In case of a heart burn, taking a glass of concentrated lemon juice can give relief
- Benefit to the skin include preventing the formation of wrinkles and acne
- Helps maintain the health of the eyes and helps fight against eye problems
- Aids in the production of digestive juices
- Replenishes body salts especially after a strenuous workout session
On a personal note
I have been personally drinking daily and advocating for the consumption of warm lemon water on the Health Matters. Life Matters. Facebook page on a regular basis. However, it wasn’t until our teenage son started developing acne that I fully realized the true health benefits of warm lemon water first thing in the morning.
A couple of months ago, my son developed a deep pimple just under the eye socket of his right eye, just over the start of his facial bone. It wasn’t until this pimple started to look red and inflamed did we suspect that there was an issue. After two attempts at popping the pimple he developed a very bad case of facial cellulitis, also know as a facial infection. These infections can be very serious due to the highly vascular nature of the face. The infection under his eye could have easily traveled to his brain.
When one trip to urgent care and antibiotics did not solve the problem we ended up in urgent care for a second time. This time it was much more serious and required consultation from head and neck specialists. The once simple simple. now turned ugly and infected had to be cut open and drained. After minor facial incisions our son received a very intensive and long infusion of a very strong antibiotic. We were told that if this medicine did not take care of the infection we would be out of options. A swab from his infection was also tested for MRSA. Thankfully this test came back negative.
After 2 hours of the infusion, a dose of benadryl due to a reaction to the medicine, and an additional antibiotic to take at home for a course of 10 days we were discharged.
It was at this time that I realized my son needed to detox his body not only because of the high levels of antibiotics that were now in his system but also because of the inflammation and infection on his face due to his acne.
I instructed my son to drink a warm glass of lemon water every morning before he ate or drank anything else. He needed to drink as hot of a glass as he could stand. After 1 week of drinking his lemon water, a minor rash appeared on his trunk, hands, and back. At first we thought it was the heat of summer. When the rash didn’t resolve overnight we considered food or environmental factors. None of those resulted in a reason for the minor rash. After 3 days, and continued daily lemon water the rash began to resolve. It was on day 2 that I realized that the rash was his body detoxing the antibiotic poison and inflammation from his infection. After 4 days with continued lemon water daily in the morning, his rash completely resolved and his skin was markedly clearer and less oily. His skin actually looked like it once did pre-puberty, soft, clear, and clean. The difference is striking.
I am now completely convinced, due to personal experience of the benefits of warm lemon water daily, first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything else.