5 Carnivorous Diet Myths
As always, please do not take my word for the statements included in this post, please do your own research so that you see there is ample scientific proof to debunk each of the following statements. With sufficient research you will begin to learn that an animal based diet, one filled with meat and dairy is not healthy and in no way prolongs your life span or quality of life.
- You need animal protein to consume all of the essential amino acids your body needs to grow and thrive. This is undeniably false, as you can see by this protein and amino acids chart from VeganHealth.org is that there are ample non-animal food sources that contain high levels of protein and essential amino acids. You absolutely do not need to eat animal protein or dairy products to receive sufficient protein and essential amino acids.
- Humans are designed to eat meat. This myth might be the one that gets under my skin the most. If those that claim this myth to be true did even a little bit of research they would quickly find out that this is absolutely false. Our “canine” teeth do not resemble the shape or serve the same function as large meat eating carnivores. These teeth are not efficient in the least for tearing meat off of bones. Additionally, our intestines are very long. The average human has a total of 25 feet of small and large intestines combined. Carnivores on the other hand have very short intestines which are designed to breakdown carnivorous diet. In light of this information if you still choose to eat meat you should know that it takes our intestines such a long time to breakdown meat that it rots in out gut before it is full expelled from our body. Chew on that thought next time you chow down.
- Children need meat to develop properly. Absolute nonsense. Not only do I know this to be false from my own personal experience with my children but based simply on the facts that we’ve already discussed, children just like adults need protein and 10 essential amino acids to grow and develop. Protein and amino acids from fruits and vegetables are a much healthier source than from fat and cancer laden animal sources.
- Dairy is a healthy source of calcium and essential for bone health. This myth took me the longest to learn and there is so much mis-leading information out there from large dairy-pro conglomerates. When it comes to healthy sources of calcium, dairy cannot compare to almonds, beans, tofu, and most dark green vegetables. Did you know that a cup of broccoli and other dark leafy green veggies have a calcium absorption rate of between 40 and 61 percent whereas milk has a calcium absorption rate of 32 percent? When it comes to calcium absorption is the key! When you couple the cancer causing properties of casein found in dairy with its low calcium absorption why would you waste your time and money buying dairy when you can spend more wisely on other fruits and veggies?
- You must eat meat to get a sufficient amount of iron in your diet. A simple look at the nutritional content of nuts, grains, and in particular dark leafy green vegetables will debunk this myth in a heartbeat. As you can see from this chart, spinach has over 15 times more iron/mg than sirloin, hamburger, or chicken. The leading iron food sources are all vegan!
There are unfortunately many more false carnivore myths out there but these 5, in my opinion, are the most predominant and steadfast myths that human meat eaters stand behind. For your health I want to encourage you to do your own research into these myths, see for yourself that they are completely false and hold no weight. When you remove animal sources from your diet you will start walking down the road to complete and natural health. Don’t take my word for it, try removing animal sources for 21 days, see how you feel and the changes that you notice in your body and mental well-being might surprise you.
If you would like to try some delicious vegan recipes you might enjoy these: